Street Address

Commonwealth Law Courts Building, 61 Bolton Street, Newcastle

Opening Hours

08:45am - 16:30pm

Postal Address

PO Box 9991 Newcastle NSW 2300


See relevant addresses provided below


1300 352 000

Phone Hours

8:30am - 5:00pm


(02) 4926 5204

Urgent After Hours

1300 352 000 (This after hours service is limited to the family law jurisdiction in circumstances where:

There is a real risk of a child being removed from Australia before the next working day; or

A lawyer contacts the service where there is a risk of removal or dissipation of assets before the next working day.

Documents are received at the Family Law registry. Please give the documents to a client service officer, who will immediately give you written acknowledgement and send the documents by registered mail to the nearest Federal Court registry for filing.

The registry has a public-access computer where you can download information and forms for the general federal law jurisdictions of the Federal Circuit Court.

The Federal Circuit Court of Australia shares facilities with the Family Court of Australia and the Federal Court of Australia.

Bus stop 500m from front of building.

General enquiries

Information about filing and family law procedures

Procedural information about your case

Family law forms and publications


Commonwealth Courts Portal Support

For information see the Commonwealth Courts Portal how do I's.

For information see the Commonwealth Courts Portal how do I's.


Proof of divorce

I need to prove we are divorced – how do I do that?


Registry enquiries

Lost property

Request for a lawyer code

Request availability of a file for file viewing or subpoena viewing (you should check that leave has been granted through the Commonwealth Courts Portal prior to sending a request to inspect a subpoena)

Family Court of Australia case file information – parties/lawyers

Lawyers providing conciliation conference documents – Family Court of Australia and Federal Circuit Court of Australia

Follow up enquiries for consent orders and urgent applications

Child Dispute Services – confirm appointments.

Child Dispute Services – request to cross-examine a family consultant or regulation 7 provider.

Divorce hearing – requests to attend by telephone and adjournment.


Federal Circuit Court of Australia

To contact Federal Circuit Court of Australia chambers please refer to Communicating with Judges' Chambers and contact details.


No public telephones available.

Photocopier available on level 1 – 20c per copy.

Justice of the Peace – all documents should be signed, witnessed and photocopied before attending the registry.

Bathrooms located on level 1, 2 and 4, including disabled facilities on levels 1 and 4.

Parents’ room with changing facilities for babies located on level 2.

Wheelchair access available via the main entrance.

Lift access available to all public floors.

Hearing loops available by contacting the registry in advance – email and postal address information above.

A volunteer service provides tea/coffee and biscuits on level 4.

Childcare only available for court ordered mediation on level 2. Confirmation of childcare should be made by email or post to the registry.

For copies of transcripts contact Auscript.

Legal Aid NSW provides assistance to unrepresented litigants through services such as information sessions, referrals (including direct referrals to family dispute resolution and private practitioners), assistance with applying for legal aid, preparing documents including urgent applications, duty appearances and assisting in court.

For more information see Legal Aid New South Wales or contact Legal Aid on or 1300 888 529.


Monday to Friday 9 am – 1pm and 2 pm – 4pm

Location: Level 4, room 4.

Hunter Community Legal Centre provide free family law advice for unrepresented parties in legal proceedings in family law.

You should contact the community legal advice centre prior to your court date.



Phone: (02) 4040 9120 (or Toll free: 1800 650 073) at the following times:

Monday 10.00am – 12.00pm
Wednesday 2.00pm – 4.00pm
Friday 10.00am – 12.00pm


By appointment.

Location: Level 4

Provide free family law advice for unrepresented litigants in family law proceedings. Clients wishing to access the service are required to attend in person.


Monday to Friday 9.30 am – 4.30 pm.

Location: Level 4

The counter is currently closed. Opening hours are between 08:45 Hrs and 16:30 Hrs.

Clients waiting

Approx Wait Time

It is important to obtain some independent legal advice in relation to your situation. A lawyer can help you understand your legal rights and responsibilities. They can also explain how the law applies to your case. A lawyer may also be able to help you reach an agreement without going to court. The court is unable to provide legal advice because to do so could seriously compromise the court's ability to impartially determine a case if a person then applies to the court seeking orders.
The Family Relationship Advice Line (FRAL) can help you with free legal advice and information about services available to assist anybody with family relationship issues - call 1800 050 321 (+61 7 3423 6878 if you are overseas). You should advise FRAL that you are seeking legal advice and they will take your details and a lawyer will call you back. FRAL will advise you of a timeframe on the call back, you should advise if it is urgent.
Alternatively, the Australian government funds a range of legal assistance services that may be able to assist you, including Legal Aid Commissions and individual Community Legal Centres, which offer free and low cost advice. Information to assist with finding legal services is available from the Attorney-General's Department website.